Records FAQ's

Q1: How do I obtain a "clearance letter" to show that I have no criminal record?
You must be a current resident or at one time resided in South San Francisco. You must come in person to the Police Department and present a valid form of photo identification (Drivers License, California Identification Card or passport with fairly recent photo) and your SSF address. A check of only SSFPD records will be conducted. The fee is $10.00 and you will be provided with a letter which will state you either have no criminal history or list all your arrests with convictions, if you have any.

Q2: When can I come in for Live Scan fingerprinting?
You must call for an appointment. Our days and hours for Live Scan are (to be determined). There is a fee of $23.00 in addition to the fees charged by the California Department of Justice and/or the F.B.I., depending upon the type of background check you require. Call (650) 877­-8900 for an appointment.

Q3: How can I obtain a copy of a Police report?

A3: You may request a copy by mail by sending the required fee and a self-addressed stamped envelop and a copy will be mailed to you, generally within 2-3 days of receipt of the request. You should phone the Records office at (650) 877-8900 (have the report number handy if possible) to find out how much a copy will cost and whether the report is ready to be released. Or, you may come to the Police Department, provide identification, and purchase a copy of the report. The cost is 25-cents per page. Please allow a minimum of 5 working days for traffic accident reports to be completed.

Q4: How do I know to which police department I should report a crime?
A4: Generally speaking, you should make your report with the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction over the city in which the incident occurred. The South San Francisco Police Department will take reports of incidents which occur in our city.

How can I find out why my vehicle was towed, where it is and how I can get it back?
Please know your vehicle's license plate number before contacting us, as it will speed the process of locating your vehicle. You may phone us at (650) 877-8900 or come in person to our station and present valid photo identification to verify you are the registered owner of the vehicle. If your vehicle was towed because of expired registration or for having five or more unpaid parking tickets, you must first go to the Department of Motor Vehicles and handle those issues. Then bring the receipts from the DMV to our Department. A fee of $100.00 (cash, Visa/MC, money order, cashier's check only) is charged for a vehicle release. If you do not possess a valid driver's license, you need to bring with you someone who does. You will be provided the release and, if needed, a map to the tow company storing your vehicle. You will then be responsible for paying any tow and storage fees directly to the tow company.

Q6: Can someone other than the registered owner of the vehicle pick up the vehicle release?
: Yes. The registered owner of the vehicle may prepare a letter describing the vehicle in question (year, make, license number) and identify another person whom you are authorizing to pick up the release for the vehicle. This letter must be notarized by a Notary Public.

Q7: What can I do if I think my vehicle shouldn't have been towed?
A7: The vehicle owner is entitled to a "Post-Storage Hearing". The owner must come in person to the Police Department and request such a hearing. The hearing officer will make a determination about the validity of the tow.

How can I get a restraining order?
A8: To obtain the required forms or information, phone the Superior Court Clerk's Office at (650) 877-5705 between 9:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm, or go to the Court Clerk's Office at 1050 Mission Road, South San Francisco during those hours. If the court is closed, under certain conditions the Police Department can assist you in obtaining an Emergency Protective Order (EPO). The order is valid for five court days and within that time you may seek a Temporary Restraining Order from the Superior Court Clerk's Office.

Q9: Should I file a police a report if I am the victim of domestic violence?
Yes. Acts of domestic violence which occurred in South San Francisco should be reported to the SSF Police Department.

Q10: In addition to filing a domestic violence report, I would like to speak with someone about a domestic violence situation and find out what my options are. Who can I call?

You can phone the CORA (Community Overcoming Relationship Abuse) 24-hour hotline at (650) 312-8515 or (800) 300-1080. If you decide you need a Domestic Violence Restraining Order, contact the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The D.V. Restraining Order will take approximately 24-hours for ajudge's approval and processing. There is no charge for a D.V. Restraining Order.

How do I get my juvenile arrest record sealed?
Pre-requisites for having a juvenile record sealed are that you are at least 18 years of age, off formal probation at least one year or off informal probation for at least six months. You will need to contact Hillcrest Juvenile Facility at (650) 312-8816. They will take down your information and mail an application to you. Or, you can go to 21 Tower Road, Belmont and pick up an application at the front desk.

Q12: I got a bill to pay the booking fees for when I was arrested and taken to the Redwood City jail. What's this all about? Do I have to pay it?

When a defendant is convicted, the Judge may order the defendant to pay a "Criminal Justice Administration Fee" in the amount equal to the amount the arresting law enforcement agency is charged by the County for each j ail booking. Failure to pay the bill can result in the debt going to a collection agency.

Q13: How do I apply for a permit to drive a taxi cab?
First, check with Peninsula Yellow Cab Co., (650) 588-2131, to make sure they are hiring new drivers. If so, pick up an application from the Police Department. Submit your completed application. and a processing fee of $75. You will be fingerprinted and photographed. If the preliminary background check is clear, you will receive a written letter granting you a temporary permit to drive until a final decision is made about granting you a 2-year permit. If you apply for a permit renewal before the 2-year permit expires, the cost is $65.00.

Q14: My car has been repossessed by the lender. Why have they sent me here to pay $15.00?
When your vehicle was repossessed, the Police Department was advised and, in order to avoid you incorrectly reporting your vehicle stolen, we made a computer entry indicating the vehicle was repossessed. The State has set the $15.00 fee as compensation to the Police Department for the computer entry. The legal owner of your vehicle is required to make sure the $15.00 fee is paid before they can release the vehicle to you.

Q 15:
I was given a citation for petty theft and have to go to the Police Department to be booked. When can I come in?
Our booking days and times are Wednesdays from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm and Saturdays from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm. You must bring a valid form of identification with you.

Where do I go to get my bicycle licensed?
A16: Bicycles are licensed by Fire Department personnel. Please call them at (650) 829­-3950 for information.

I'm going on vacation. Will you check my house while I'm gone?
A17: Unfortunately, we do not have sufficient personnel to conduct vacation checks. If possible, arrange for a trusted neighbor to watch your house. You should arrange for your newspapers to be stopped or have someone stop by daily to pick them up. You should put your lights on timers. Also, you should be aware that there is a City Ordinance regarding the parking of vehicles on the street in excess of 3 days, so you may want to park your vehicle in your garage or driveway so that it does not get towed while you are away.

: I have lost my consular ID card. What do I need to do to get it replaced?
You will need to obtain a letter from the Consulate confirming that you have proved your identity and that the ID card was lost. Bring the letter to the police department, where an officer will complete a police report. You will be given a case number to provide to the Consulate.

Q19: How can I access public information regarding incidents that have occurred in my neighborhood?

The South San Francisco Police Department publishes a daily media bulletin on the City Website [click here]. Requests for specific incident details are accepted and evaluated on a case by case basis and can be submitted via email, phone, writing, or in person at the Police Department.