Permit Application Requirements

Type of Work that Requires a Building Permit

Any building or structure that is to be erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, improved, removed, converted, or demolished requires a Building Permit Application from the Building Division.

Who Can Obtain a Permit?

Limitations on who can take out a Building Permit are as follows:
  • Property owners may take out a Building Permit as an owner-builder. If California licensed contractors do all of the work, the building may be offered for sale. However, an owner-builder may not construct a building that is intended for sale or offered for sale within one year of completion of the project.
  • A lessee may take out a permit for a project with the same rights as an owner-builder, provided his/her lease allows for this to be done (this is mostly seen in the case of non-residential buildings). The lessee must provide evidence to the Building Division that they have this right.
  • Contractors licensed in the State of California may take out permits for the type of work they are licensed to perform.
  • Architects acting as agents for the owner may take out a permit.
  • Any other person acting as an agent for an owner or contractor who can present a verifiable affidavit showing that they have authority to take out a permit.

Business License Requirements

Anyone who takes out a Building Permit and is being financially compensated for the work they do in conjunction with the permit, must also have a City Business License.

Work That Is Exempt From Permits

Please check with the Planning Division to ensure that you are also in compliance with their requirements. Exemptions are as follows:
Please Note: While the codes may exempt certain work from permit requirements, electrical, plumbing, or mechanical work must still be permitted.

Workers Compensation Information

Section 3700 of the State of California Labor Code requires that anyone who is an employer must provide workers’ compensation insurance for their employees. You may be considered an employer if you hire someone to perform any type of work that is done for which a permit is issued.

If you hire a contractor who has employees, the contractor must have workers’ compensation insurance. If your contractor has employees and does not carry workers’ compensation insurance, you may be liable for any damages as a result of injury in the performance of the work for which the permit was issued.

It is highly recommended that persons hiring contractors obtain proof of workers’ compensation insurance coverage prior to the commencement of the work